Saturday, March 5, 2011

Beer Cuisine

Yesterday at a Friday afternoon happy hour with co-workers, one of my co-workers divulged that he had a couple of batches of home brews which will be ready for tasting soon. He mentioned that he would like to have a tasting party in a few weeks. He asked me if I might be able to make some desserts which would complement his brews.

So I got to thinking, what is my favorite thing in this whole entire world--combinations!!! A firm believer in the "two heads are better than one" school of thought--everything gets better when it has a partner in crime. The added complexity and completion from the marriage of two things (keep it simple!!)--anything from color combinations (hello orange and navy blue!) that please the eye to food (mmm peanut butter and chocolate) to finding awesome desserts that pair with varying flavors of beer--an intriguing challenge. I am soooo excited!

Not being able to drink wine puts me in a difficult position--I'd like to be educated about pairing food with alcoholic beverages, but because of my allergy I cannot partake in the countless weekend courses pairing wines with cheese, chocolate, and entrees. I know there are courses out there for pairing with beer, but I think my unbiased ignorance will make it fun; I get free reign to play with flavor combinations so long as I know what to expect from the beers that my friend is making. Even then, there are no set rules for pairing, it's a "to each his own" sort of realm to experiment. So that I shall do.

After a 5 minute browsing sesh I found that pairing beer is much like selecting a diamond. Only with beer, there're only three C's, not four. :)

The 3 C's to keep in mind:
- Cut
- Complement
- Contrast

Before learning that, I just thought I'd complement the beers. Because I don't know what exactly to expect from the beers (I don't quite know what we'll be tasting yet), I am at this point hesitant to offer a dessert that the beer will cut or contrast. That being said, I know like with magnets, opposites most certainly attract, so I will keep that in mind but venture on the side of caution.

When I think of lighter beers like lagers and light ales, my mind immediately goes into brainstorm mode. I think poultry, grilled veggies, barbeque, summer, thirst-quenching. Usually simpler than most beers, they can be enjoyed in larger quantity (within responsible limits, of course) and upon further thought, maybe I do want a dessert that will contrast with a lager or light ale, should my friend happen to have us sample such a brew.

When I think of wheat beers I think of bread, citrus, coriander, spice, pumpkin, banana, fruit, vanilla even. Wheat beers are my favorite. I can drink them with most of what I eat because they're light enough to be served with seafood, chicken, veggies, and have enough going on to keep drinking it with a light dessert.


Amber ales--not as hoppy as the stronger (my less favorite) bitter India pale ales, more malty and generally more complex than it's aforementioned sisters. I think of caramels, burnt sugar perhaps, sweetness, but still with a linger of hops. I'm struggling with this one. Do I want to pair it with caramel flavors? Would it just meld in with the beer's flavor and get lost? My goal is to find a balance, one way or the other, such that neither beer nor dessert be overwhelmed by the other. Requires more thought...

Bitter ales--these probably being my least favorite of all beers, I'm not usually a huge fan of hoppy brews. They seem unfinished to my palate. But, never one to snub most food or beverage without judging them for myself (well, there may be exceptions), I shall attempt my best shot at brainstorming. Because of their strong nature, I want to find something that will stand up to the hops, without being rich in the chocolaty sense. I might have to sample a bitter ale just to get a better grasp on this one...

Porters, stouts--my second favorite. I think smoky flavors, mesquite, chocolate, creamy, oatmeal, Irish cream, strong and robust flavors that you can find underlying in the beers themselves. I also think of hearty fruits that pair well with chocolate like raspberries and blackberries. This is probably going to be the easiest class of beer to pair.

My favorite stout, sweet and delish. Perfect with any dessert.
I have not had too much exposure to Bocks, of which I sampled one with my dad, who's favorite is Celebrator's Doppelbock. If I recall correctly it was rick, dark and hoppy. I prefer the maltiness of the stouts and porters. Maybe something with bitter chocolate would pair well?


And last but certainly not least (the IPA's were farther up the list!) the lambics. Oh Lambics, how I love thee. These are special brews because they are double-fermented and usually sweet. Some can be sour and fruity as well. I think of salads with vinaigrettes and fruity desserts with vanilla. Sour lambics are a bit more challenging to pair, but the tartness of cherries (in particular) currently come to mind.


Lindeman's Framboise, possibly the most popular lambic around
Sooo many beers, so many possibilities!!

2 comments:

  1. Ayinger Celebrator is my favorite Dopplebock, too! This style, along with all Bocks, are very under-represented in American Craft Beer.

    FYI, bocks are some of the lowest hopped beers on the whole beer spectrum. Very rich German malts dominate, and in dopplebocks they can take on a dark "bread crust" kind of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molasses is another flavor commonly attributed to dopplebocks (not really so in lower alcohol bocks)

    ReplyDelete